Helping to prevent you from becoming a victim of crime.
Catalytic converter or Cat theft is increasing, reports say it has increased by over 400% in the last few years. The problem is increasing as mycrimeprevention.co.uk research shows valuable precious metals that make up catalytic converters, metals such as platinum,palladium, rhodium and gold have increased in value.
Platinum has more than doubled in value between Sep 2008 and March 2012.
Palladium has increased by more than 200% during the same period.
Rhodium has increased from $1250 to $1400 an ounce between January and March 2012.
There are a number of crime prevention tactics you can consider to try and reduce the risk of becoming the next victim of CAT theft. 10 great catalytic converter theft prevention tips are included below.
Catalytic converters are also relatively easy to steal, very few vehicle owners are aware of this crime prevention problem and so don't take crime prevention precautions.
1. The first step to preventing being a victim of this crime is understanding the issue.Research has identified that taller vehicles, including 4x4s and vans may be more vulnerable as their catalytic converters (CATs) are more accessible. These vehicles often have larger engines and larger CAT's also.
2. When away from your home try and park in well-lit busy areas. This may make your vehicle a less attractive target for a criminal as there is greater chance of them being seen and disturbed.
3. Catalytic converter thieves will often target an area over a period of time. Be aware of local media to see if there are reports in your locality.
4. If you can park your vehicle in a garage. This is an extra level of security for a thief to beat if they want to steal your catalytic converter.
5. CAT thieves don't want to be seen. Effective security lighting could help put off a CAT thief. A range of solar security lights which are great where there is no main power can be found here security lights to help prevent CAT thefts
6. Fit a catalytic converter anti theft device such as the Armacat.. The Armacat is fitted to the catalytic converter using stainless steel collars, high strength dome head bolts and temper proof shear nuts.
This product uses an ultra strong 8mm diameter 7x19 stainless steel cable and a high temperature PVC sleeve.
Click on the image link below to read more about this product.
An alternative could be the the Catloc, this is slightly cheaper in price. The manufacturers claim that the Catloc can be fitted to 99% of at risk vehicles. For more information, click on the image below.
7. Consider installing CCTV devices. Modern CCTV has night vision capabilities and can be viewed on smartphones. A system like this will be a major deterrent to a criminal and could cost less than replacing a CAT.
8. The metal shell of your CAT can be marked.If it is removed and the Police seize stolen CATs this may make it easier to return to you as stolen property.
9. Be aware and encourage awareness amongst your community. If you see people working under vehicles be aware they may be attacking the CAT or stealing fuel.
10. Raise awareness of the issue. Feel free to print or email this article for others. There is a number of links at the top of the page to help with this.
contact form test